- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (I use 4 large breasts)
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (10 3/4 ounces, condensed ) *Or make Homemade Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup, using equivalent amount
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (10 3/4 ounces, condensed) *Or make Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, equivalent amount
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 8 oz can Mushrooms drained (stems and pieces – or use fresh) *optional
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chives (chopped)
- Few dashes of Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (non-stick cooking spray) a 9×13 baking dish or similar size.
- Place chicken breast in baking dish in a single layer – lightly salt and pepper.
- In a medium size bowl mix soups, sour cream, onion powder, mushrooms, chives and water. Next, evenly pour over top of chicken and lightly sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake on middle rack, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour, until chicken breast is cooked thoroughly and internal temperature reaches 165-170 degrees f. Cooking time will vary depending on size of breasts. *The best way to make sure the chicken is ready is checking the internal temperature.
- When ready, serve with your favorite veggie, like broccoli or green beans and a side of rice or noodles. Be sure to top your rice or noodles with the creamy sauce! Enjoy!
- Add additional chives on top after baking.
- Leftover cooked turkey/chicken and rotisserie chicken works great with this recipe. Just reduce the cooking time – it’s ready once the casserole is hot and heated through. Serve with a side of veggies and rice.
- Some readers have left comments below, stating they adapted this recipe by adding Lipton onion soup mix – I have never used onion soup mix with this dish. I love this recipe the original way, as is. Adding the onion soup mix got mixed reviews.