- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening at room temperature
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a tube pan (angel food cake pan) or Bundt pan. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, cream together butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add dry ingredients in three additions to butter mixture alternately with half of the milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Gently stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until cake is golden on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 55 – 70 minutes. (Start checking at the 55 minute mark.)
- Be careful not to open the oven if you don’t think it’s finished baking. (Opening the oven prematurely could cause the cake to fall.)
- Cool cake in pan.
- Using a sharp knife, gently separate cake from cake pan edges wherever you can, including around the center tube.
- Turn cake out onto rack.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or a spoonful of lemon curd.
Adapted From www.throughherlookingglass.com